Thursday, March 10, 2011

Party Planning!

Most of you will likely think I've gone loco but I'm starting to gather items for Kylie's 1st b-day.  Honestly I don't even know who we will invite yet...will it be only family?  Family and a few friends?  Family, friends and the ladies that take care of her at daycare?  Any of you thought about this?  If you have a little one what did (or will) the invite list look like for their 1st b-day?  If you don't have a little one do you find it completely ridiculous to be invited to a 1st b-day?

So far I went to the dollar store and found these cute decorations, invitations, party hats, plates, napkins, etc. that all have flowers and butterflies on them.  I have to admit I'm somewhat obsessed with flowers and butterflies so it's the perfect theme =)


Then I turned to ebay and so far have purchased this bib and onsie:




She'll probably wear the onsie with tights, some cute pink shoes and the skirt/tutu that she had her 9 month photos taken in if it still fits.  It's an 18mo size so I'm thinking it will.

I'm planning on making cupcakes instead of a cake...I mean who wants to share a cake with a 1 year old after she's put her little slobbered on hands in it?!?!  The cooking of said cupcakes will be particularly interesting if she still has her dairy and soy intolerance but I'm up to it.  I love to bake.  I might try to put my crafty hat on (scary!!!) and make some picks for the cupcakes that are personalized with a picture and/or b-day wish and little bows or something.  Wish me luck, I'll need it!

Other than figuring out what's up with the guest list and the cupcake picks what else am I missing here?  It's 11w3d away =)   And just to set the mood here's a recent picture of Miss KB.




9 comments:

  1. If it were me, I would probably invite family and maybe just very close friends. My sil had a "baby" sized cake for the b-day girl and a bigger cake for everyone else to share. It was really cute to see my niece digging into that little cake. It made for some great pictures. Just an idea of something different to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a TON more than me and Noah's birthday is in ONE WEEK! lol.

    We're having his party the next day, Saturday the 19th. We invited just immediate family, two of our aunt/uncle families (just the ones that live nearby, and I don't know if they're actually coming), and then our closest closest friends. Two have a baby, the rest don't. The ones with babies are coming, the rest are totally hit and miss. Nobody is travelling from far away to come, except my brothers and sisters.

    I've got the guest list mostly down, and the food is taken care of in my mind (ie. what I'm making and who's bringing what). But I have no decorations. I'm not too concerned about that. I want to try and find Noah a birthday onesie or shirt, but he wears 18 or 24 month clothing, so I don't know how that will go.

    Guess I have a lot to do in the next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that stuff is so cute!! You are so ahead of me... and Eirik's party is in 2 weeks (YIKES!!!!!!!!!!)

    I second the advice of small party with friends and family. We're having about 10 - 15 people, including us. it gets overwhelming! also i'd limit the time of the party to about 2 hours. That way if you do have to kick people out due to a cranky baby you can politely. ;)

    If you're doing cupcakes, have you seent he websites with adorable edible cupcake toppers?? They just had them for sale on a daily steal site recently... i'll have to hunt around and see if i can find the link. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say that I haven't already started looking at birthday ideas for Colton and it's still 5 months away! So no, I definitely don't think you've gone too far! =) The guest list is what worries me the most, given my current situation because there are a couple people who most definitely are NOT going to be allowed so it could get interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I LOVE all of it! :) I guess Im maybe on the other end of everyone else but we will be having a bigger party for his first. I have waited SO many years for this day and we have a lot of friends with babies around his age so we are going to do it at a party/cover picnic area. We are doing cupcakes too and Im attempting to make a pirate hat cake for him. Love the onesie too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did the bigger party with family/friends - about 30 people plus little ones running around. It was so much fun - and I made it easier on myself by just serving pizza/cake/soda/beer.

    We've decided 1 year parties are the big blow out parties - and from here on out it will be immediate family and his friends (once he makes some real ones!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did family only for L and V's first birthday, and at least for quiet little ol' me, that was plenty.

    Have fun with the planning! I'm already looking forward to future parties with crafts, games, treats... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see the finished project! I've thought about doing a giant cupcake for guests and two small cupcakes for the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such cute stuff! I'd imagine we'll pretty much just do family for L's first (though it's a long way away so who knows). Hubby has a big family so that will be more than enough for me.... :)

    ReplyDelete