Friday, April 16, 2010

Fingers crossed!

Hey girlies,

As usual the appt was pretty basic with a test of urine for proteins and sugars (clear!), weigh in (UGH!), and a doppler reading of Kylie's heart rate (in the 150's). Everything looks great, WOOO-HOOO!!!!

The unusual part of the visit is that we got an answer on the silly amnio issue!!! For a recap the issue is I'll be 39w on Saturday May 29th. Since they don't normally schedule c-sections on weekends and that is Memorial Day weekend my DH and I wanted to do it on 5/28. The doc insisted that if I did it before 39w that I had to have an amnio to check lung function on 5/27. She instead suggested Tuesday 6/1, when I'd be 39w3d. Our reasons are a little silly for pushing for the 28th but both my DH and I have family who would like to drive in from out of town over the long weekend to meet Kylie and I honestly am anxious about going so close to my due date since I'm not suppose to go into natural labor for risk of uterine rupture (sounds so scary!).

After finding out that my insurance wouldn't apply the ~$2500 amnio toward my $5K deductable and reviewing the risks of an anmio I decided it wasn't worth it and gave one last shot at convincing my doc that we shouldn't have to do it to deliver on 5/28. At total risk of pissing the doctor off I printed out this article, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2505159/, and gave it to them at my last appointment. I once again explained my medical and non-medical reasons for wanting the timing to be a little earlier.

At yesterdays appointment the OB said they have decided to let me schedule my c-section for Saturday May 29th, right at the 39w mark =) The doctor on call has agreed to come in...can you believe it? That is such a great compromise and I am so grateful to them. Now the only hurdle left is getting the anesthesiologist on call to schedule it. Fingers crossed!

Tomorrow is our hospital tour so I'll try to write about that this weekend...hope everyone is getting some beautiful weather for this Spring weekend!!!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome news! It's so close now. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so great they worked around the amnio!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME news! YAYYY!!! You now have a concrete date to look towards AND it's not that far away :) OMG, I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's GREAT news! Wow, I can't believe this is happening next month. It's crazy! I'm so excited for you!!! Can't wait to hear about the hospital tour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear your news!! I can not believe you are 6 weeks away. So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Seriously, doctors often have some sort of weird "number" issue. They have no idea that the "hard and fast" numbers they focus on are AVERAGES and have ranges around them -- there's not some switch that gets thrown! If your cholesterol is 199 "you're fine." If it's 200 "OMG, you need drugs!" If you're 34 and 364 days and you get pregnant -- oh, no problem. If you're 35 and one day? OMG, advanced maternal age!!! Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. UGGGG, this situation still makes me furious. I can't believe you had to jump through all those hoops and print off articles, etc, etc for one freaking day's difference. It is just ridiculous. But glad you have worked it out! My doctor suggested scheduling my c/s for a Friday too b/c she knew we had family coming in from out of town.

    ReplyDelete