Thursday, June 6, 2013

Insurance Woes

With the new health care act insurance companies are suppose to cover the cost of breast feeding supplies, including a pump.  Since my pump was a hand me down (used with two kids) and I used it for two years I thought "hey, why not get a new one?".  You would think with the regulation being in effect since January 1st of this year that HUGE insurance companies like blue.cross.blue.sheild would have it figured out, right?  Not so much.  They gave me their list of 30 in-network durable medical equipment providers for my state and I called every single one of them.  None of them provide breast pumps.  What?!  So they BCBS has worked out a waiver for me and told me to find any durable medical equipment provider that has one and I can get it paid for.  The problem is that all I can find are retail stores that sell them.  I am still on the search and happy I started this project well ahead of my due date.  If anyone knows of any national (or Colorado) providers that would fit my needs please speak up =)

Ok, vent over.  In other news, I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow =)  The transition into the pre-school room is getting better and I think she's starting to get use to it.  They have had 1 field trip per week so far but next week she will have two and the following weeks 2-3 per week.  We'll see how that goes *eek*  This weekend we're going to the circus and I can't wait to see how K likes it.  Not much else is new really...

5 comments:

  1. Ooh th circus!!!

    I rented my pump from Apria after quite a search. They are a national organization so hopefully will be out there. The local office was awesome -They even drove 90 miles to bring me a replacement pump when I blew out the motor of the first one. - the national organization was a pain in the ahem. We had more weird billing problems than I can count. (They once were houndibg me about bills id already paid and sent me a refund check at the same time. And sent me someone else's refund check, too!). But, in the end, it worked out and they were good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This i can help you out with!! I helped a coworker get one when she returned to work. She was using a cheap pump and i told her to call and get one for free! I will say that some companies only had the advent in stock because there is such a huge demand now for pumps. But, here are a few links for you to try!

    https://www.edgepark.com/shopcatalog/searchresults.cfm?keyword=breast&source=header

    http://www.pacificmsi.com/breast_pumps.html

    http://cambridgemedsupply.com/breast-pumps

    https://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/1332891/?sitecookie=80f9cd530ce1f9ef5b5b3033b12f0569

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on finding the pump!

    I can't belie you're so close!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend, who is now 8 weeks postpartum, finally received the pump she ordered through her insurance today and it ended up being some generic p.o.s.... I sincerely hope you have much better luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 34 weeks! Holy crap! I am so out of things when I have no time to read blogs!

    Hope you have luck finding your pump!

    ReplyDelete