Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Emergency D&C

Recovery was going great, so much better than with K.  Moving around was easier than I expected.  I came home from the hospital Friday and was doing well.  We were settling into a routine and getting rest here and there.  As you can tell from the tone this did not last...

Horrible stabbing pains started when I was up nursing C at 4am on Monday morning. I took C back to our room and gave him to M.  I went to the bathroom and noticed that the bleeding that had pretty much stopped had started up again and was bright red and decently heavy.  I thought I was just going to pass a clot or something so I tried to go lay down and wait for it to pass.  Within 10 minutes I couldn't move the pain was so bad and I didn't think I could make it to a car for M or my Dad to take me to the ER.  We called the OB emergency service and the doc said I needed to be seen ASAP so we called 911. Fireman had to carry me out in a sheet because their scoop couldn't fit up our steep stairs.  

The first ambulance took me to the wrong hospital because they were told by dispatch that the OR at the hospital I requested was closed.  Dispatch apparently didn't know that the GYN, L&D, etc. OR was NOT closed and those surgeries could not be done where they sent me.  At least the awesome EMT started an IV and gave me drugs that helped but I was still in horrible pain. I sat at the wrong hospital for an hour and got more drugs that didn't help. The second ambulance got me over to the right hospital where my doc was waiting for me.  They figured out quickly by exam and ultrasound that my uterus was full of blood and clots.  In fact my uterus had filled so far it was back up to 5 fingers above my navel.  

They did an emergency D&C to remove the clots/blood and ended up draining about 400cc. The pain was gone when the spinal wore off but I was so anemic from the blood loss (hematocrit should be above 36 and it went down to 17) so I needed a transfusion yesterday.  After getting the 2 units of blood my doctor let me come home.  It was easily one f the most painful, traumatic, scary experiences of my life and I'm very happy to have it behind me. I sure hope this is the only roadblock in my recovery!  

6 comments:

  1. I am so, so glad that you're okay. Please rest up and keep us posted on how you're feeling! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary!! So glad you're doing better and I hope you continue to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! How scary! I hope the rest of your recovery is better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So scary! I am glad you are doing better & I am sending lots of recovery vibes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! We are so glad you are on the road to recovery!!

    ReplyDelete