So this week is K's 2nd full week in her new pre-school class and we're still trying to decide if we leave her there or push her back to the previous class. They say she is only upset for 1-2 minutes after I leave and does great during the day - is happy, participates in all the classes and follows all the rules. When I pick her up and ask her if she had fun she says yes. BUT morning drop offs are filled with tears and there's lots of "I don't want to go to school" on our drive in. I think she's more nervous than scared and I think part of the issue is that she misses her old teacher. I just wish she had time to get really use to this new room before the field trips start.
Field trips start in two weeks, May 24th, and we got the schedule with time/date/place details. They will be going on 2-3 filed trips a week to really fun places like museums, amusement parks, natural areas, pools, movies, etc. To be honest some of these just seem a little old for her. And the kicker is that they are gone from 9am to 5-6pm and the only nap opportunity is on the bus. With that said the center has been doing this for 20+ years and they said while the kids come back dog tired they love the field trips. And her previous teacher that she loves will be going on the field trips, she will not be back in the previous room.
Right now I'm leaning towards leaving her in the new room and seeing how the first couple weeks of field trips go. M might also attend the first field trip to see how they run. I'll be 32 weeks pregnant and am not sure I could hang for a 9 hr field trip on my feet all day. So bummed to miss out on that though.
Then there's a part of me who feels like I'm sending my soon-to-be 3 year old on trips that are just out of her league...I just don't know. WWYD?
I say go with your gut. If you feel like you should have her move back than do it. No reason to drop naps right before you have the baby. Trust me it sucks!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure she'll be fine with the transition. But if you're not comfortable then it will be hard for her. Those field trips sound amazing! Glad to hear your hubby will go for the first one to check it out.
ReplyDeleteI think it sounds like a normal anxiety in a new place since she's OK post drop off. Its hard sometimes for them to explain what's wrong! Also she could be sensing baby stuff coming soon which will add to everything. Eirik stated being more clingy when I entered the 3t even though he didn't understand. Wow on the field trips though! That's a long day!
ReplyDeleteShe sounds like she's really doing well overall, and didn't you mention you can hold her back from trips if you feel they aren't a good fit for her? I would prob keep here there, since she's going to have to leave her other room at some point anyway, and you've already started the process now, the worst is probably over already!
ReplyDeleteSo crazy to think that she's big enough to be doing this!! Hopefully the transition is going better and the first trip is a fun one!
ReplyDelete