Monday, May 6, 2013

Transitions

A week ago Friday K's daycare announced she would be moving up to the next pre-school class. It has more kids (30 vs 10) and the kids are 3-5 years old instead of 2-3.  They have more structured pre-school with 30 minute topic groups (english, spanish, counting, letters, etc.) from 9 - noon and even during free play in the afternoons they are in groups at play stations.   They also do really big kid things, like field trips all summer to museums, parks, pools, amusement parks, etc.  

My stomach sank when they told me...is she ready for all that?  Long story short, the jury is still out.  Drop offs have been rough on both of us.  I think the anxiety of her new room makes her cling to me and I've left at least twice in tears because she tells me she's scared.  I think I mostly hide my tears from her but I'm not sure.  The center will let me move her back to the previous room if I ask them to but I really want to give this new room time to grow on her.  All her friends are there and it will teach her new independent skills that will help her when her little brother arrives.  Plus, if she is up for it all those field trips do sound like a lot of fun (we plan to chaperon the first few to see what they are all about).  Please wish us both a lot of strength in this transition...I think we'll need it :\

On another note, ten weeks from tomorrow is the day, eeek!

5 comments:

  1. Do they tell you how she does after you leave? I'm sure it is scary to go to the room with the bigger kids! Probably like going from middle school to high school. I hope K adjusts soon!

    10 weeks! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The changes are tough sometimes. One step at a time and we mommies eventually figure it out and help the littles along. Thinking of you as you go through all these changes. :) 10 weeks to go! Didn't that happen fast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hugs, i'm sorry its going so rough!! I agree, what is she like after you leave? Is it the initial nervousness and then shes OK or does she act nervous the entire time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww sounds like a huge change!

    Sorry I've been so absent, I have no idea what's been going on with you and my other favourite bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a big change! I know she's a little scared at the beginning of the day, but I bet she adjusts and will adjust to the new situation very well. Keep asking questions, and only do what you're comfortable with! Hang in there! And 10 weeks - so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete