Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Animal Sanctuary

Saturday we went with some friends to an animal sanctuary that rescues large carnivores.  I had no idea that they are the 3rd largest illegal trade in the US (behind drugs and weapons).  This place is a non profit that takes in animals from circuses  zoos and private owners.  Many of the animals have been kept in small cages their whole lives and when they arrive they don't even have the motor coordination or muscle development to walk around a large enclosure.  They rehabilitate them in smaller areas and then move them to 2-3 acre enclosures where they can roam free.  The animals are amazing!!!  Most of our pictures are of lions and tigers but they also had smaller cats (lynx, bobcats, etc.) and bears.  K loved it even though it was only 40 degrees with a cold wind *BRRR*

Here is a tiger in the smaller pens.

K on the elveated walkway around the large pens - apparently the animals are less stressed with humans in the airspace rather than on ground level.

How cute are these lions?!

So excited!

Big male taking a nap

That's one big scratching post!

Don't you just want to scratch her/his tummy?

Two enclsures had packs of wolves.  They fed them while we were there and afterwards they just sprawled out on the ground and napped.  It was very fitting for Thanksgiving Day weekend =)

Two young males cuddled up in the rehab area.

Our stroller brigade

If you're interested in checking it out or adopting an animal their website is http://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/.

In other news my first u/s is Thursday...time is crawling by this week!!!

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait for your U/s!!!
    Great pictures! I'm going to be taking the kids to a primate sanctuary soon, I hope they enjoy it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I had no idea this sanctuary was in Keenesburg. I think we'll have to pay the place a visit the next time we're in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got some beautiful photos! it looks like you had a great time. =) i have to say the last photo of the lions sleeping on their backs made me laugh because my cats at home tend to sleep just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! It's ultrasound day! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete